A Long Time Coming

This is a project that I started almost 1 year ago! and finished up on Saturday.  It was however wrought with complications which I will happily detail.

I love this potholder! I love this pattern!! However, during what must have been a ‘blonde moment’ my starting center had 7 – not 6- sections which were not noticed until the back section was completed and I was busily trying to connect them wondering all the while, “Why is the front so much bigger than the back?”  I will not go into *how long* it took me to realize this grave error, but once I did I had to rip out the whole thing and start over on the front section.  Well, I ended with the correct counts the 2nd time around, but the back must not be correct because then it was too big!  Clearly driven to nearly screaming frustration, I simply MADE IT WORK!  And I am happy!  And I will make this pattern again! Because it is beautiful!! (If you look closely in the top photo you can see some pink peeking through (from the back piece being a smidge too big – but I know you wouldn’t want to do that!)

Yarns used: Lion Brand Wool in colors : Rose, Lemongrass, Teal, Cocoa, Purple and Pumpkin.


Baby Boy Baby Blanket

Last month was a Very eventful month for us, we bought a house and moved into it!!  We are still trying to get everything sorted out so knitting was pretty much at a complete HALT for about a week and I am gradually getting back into the swing of things.  However, before we started moving, my sweet friend Amber asked me to knit a baby blanket for her new nephew who will be arriving this summer.  I find knitting for boys to be difficult because all of the patterns that *I* like seem frilly or girly, but we were able to find a nice boy blanket pattern (Rav link) that I could accomplish easily enough.

We don’t have a lot of options for yarn around here, and we were working with a deadline, so we chose just about the only option available, Bernat Baby Coordinates in Blue Bon Bon.  (This is the same yarn that I used for the previous blanket I made for Amber, and she was pleased with it, so it seemed like an easy enough decision.) Baby Coordinates is a boucle type yarn so the pattern doesn’t show up quite as well as it would in a smooth yarn, but we were both pleased with this outcome!

The finished blanket measures about 32.5″ square.  Since the original pattern calls for Fingering weight yarn, and my yarn was DK weight, I followed the modifications of another knitter on ravelry: Cast on 139 stitches.  Changed border to seed stitch, but followed pattern and knit 10 rows of seed stitch and then 7 stitches of seed stitch on each side.  Changed basketweave to 10 stitches/8 rows (k5, p5 set for 8 rows).

***Please forgive these horrible photographs!! Our new house has wonderful lighting, however the day that I needed to take these pictures it was incredibly overcast and gloomy.  Go figure!!